Sunday 31 May 2015

In summary

Today is the day after my return from the Whitehill Farm mini tour de France. It was definitely a lie-in day, my left hand (that had a dislocated thumb following a flying accident last year) aches, and I'm worn out, but it was a great flying holiday.

Special thanks to Ian and Helen for organising the trip, for Tim for the vineyard visit, and to everyone else from the Whitehill Farm club for making it such a great adventure.

In total:
  • 14 people went on the trip in 8 microlight aircraft
  • The most we had together was 12 people (Belle Ile through to Le Mans)
  • For Ollie this was his first trip across the channel, for me my second,  and for others their umpteenth
  • We had 5 planned overnight stops (Dinan, Belle Ile, La Rochelle, Libourne and Le Mans) over 9 days

For me personally:
  • I flew for 27:50 in 10 days - ordinarily this is what I fly in a typical year!
  • 4 of those days were none-flying days,  so flew for an average of nearly 4 hours a day
  • My route included 14 landings,  only landing at one airfield twice (Abbeville)
  • Of these 14 landings at 13 airfields,  12 of them were airfields I had never been to before
  • The route from my home airfield and back again plots at 1,287.38 miles - but this was flying in an absolutely straight line between airfields, so in practice was more than this
  • I burnt through 379 litres of fuel (mainly AV-gas) and 8 litres of 2-stroke oil
  • Average fuel economy was 13.1 litres an hour with individual legs varying between 11 and 15
  • Average speed based on straight-line flying and ignoring taxiing on the ground was 46 mph,  airspeed was typically 55-57 mph

Below is the track of my flights from La Baule onwards round France and back to my home UK airfield.  The memory card which had the outward flights has died and I can't retrieve the flight logs from it.

Apart from fuel and oil the only items of repair that are/were needed to my aircraft are the radio fuse,  the starter switch that stuck on,  one exhaust spring that snapped and an exhaust gasket that has started leaking.

All in all aircraft and pilot survived well!




No comments:

Post a Comment